Debbie Chow // ABC, Senior Consultant
I’m a communication professional who has worked in the business for over 20 years with all types of organizations – start-ups, small and medium-sized businesses, non-profits (community, provincial and national), government (municipal, provincial, and federal), health, crown corporations, and global companies.
The assignments have ranged from writing content to stakeholder assessments to full-blown strategy and planning for projects related to IT/ERP implementations, process change, crisis communication, community development, and social causes. (Check my LinkedIn for details.)
I was originally trained as a communications generalist, which means I’ve worked in a bit of everything. My expertise focuses on strategic communication, employee communication, business communication, and change management, all of which have helped my clients during turbulent change and crisis.
The COVID-19 pandemic shifted the world, surfacing changing attitudes towards work and, more significantly, how we see each other and how we want to work together. As a result, I work with in-person and online/remote teams, and have had amazing opportunities presented to me to dive feet first into the world of diversity and inclusion, collaborating with First Nations and Indigenous, LGBTQ2S+, and several other marginalized communities and organizations.
My overall approach balances the strategic with the tactical. The solution depends on the nature of your communication problem, the culture of your organization, and your people. (We figure this part out together.)
My philosophy is simple: Be proactive, audience focused, measurable, and integrated on every level…regardless of the size of the project.
- Bachelor of Arts degree from Simon Fraser University (SFU) with majors in Communication and French
- Certificate in marketing and business communication through SFU’s writing and publishing program
- Certificate in French as a Second Language from Université Laval in Quebec
- Accreditation through the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC).
- PROSCI certified.
- Indigenous Tools for Living (ITFL).
Other points of interest:
- Longtime member of the BC Chapter of IABC
- Volunteer judge of local, national, and international IABC communication awards.
- I hold a teacher’s degree in piano (ARCT – Advanced) and an associateship with the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto.
I do have a life outside of work: I’m an outdoor enthusiast, an amateur photographer, a piano teacher, and an animal lover. You might bump into me in one of the local parks or hiking trails…rain or shine.